Iceland lies on the edge of the Arctic Circle and is home to some of Europe’s greatest wild landscapes. A land of incredible contrast and natural beauty with its wild volcanic landscapes, mountains, glaciers, hot springs, geysers and waterfalls, combined with its rich history, literature and folklore make it a fascinating country to explore.
In this trek you will discover the stunning scenery of southern Iceland as you trek through a striking mix of geothermal valleys and beautiful mountain scenery, streams and waterfalls. The warmth of the geothermal activity keeps the route clear of snow so you can see this beautiful region in winter without the technical winter trekking.
Staying in huts miles from the nearest big towns, the dark skies offer a great chance of seeing the spectacular Aurora Borealis that can be seen every night on this memorable challenge!
A good level of fitness is required for this trek and training is advised. The Northern Lights Winter Trek involves long days over mixed terrain in cold temperatures and some wintery conditions.
We will be with you every step of the way in your preparation for the Northern Lights Winter Trek. In just a few simple steps you can be part of this once in a lifetime trek!
- Sign up today, with our trusted partners Discover Adventure who work with us to organise and run the Northern Lights Winter Trek. You will need to choose payment option A or B*
- You will receive an email from Discover Adventure to let you know that your application has been successful.
- We will send you regular updates with fundraising information, training guides etc.
- We will hold an information evening for the Northern Lights Winter Trek, giving you the opportunity to find out more, ask us any questions you may have and meet fellow trekkers.
- Any fundraising support you need, we will be on hand to help.
- Before heading off on your Northern Lights Winter Trek, Discover Adventure will send you a pre-departure pack which will include all the final information before you go.
- Enjoy the trek!
*Please note when choosing payment option B we ask you to commit to raising £1,500 in sponsorship to support our work.
Every year it costs over £5 million to provide the specialist care we offer to our in and out patients. Only 20% of this is funded through a contribution from Cornwall’s NHS Commissioners, in simple terms, the NHS contribution pays for 71 days of care each year. In a calendar year that’s only enough to get us to the 12th March. We rely on the generosity of people like you in Cornwall who leave us legacies, support fundraising events, play our lottery and visit our 32 shops.
£56 could pay for three hours of unrivalled specialist care from one of our nurses, helping patients who are terminally ill.
£37 could pay for one Lymphoedema appointment to ease swelling and symptoms for someone with cancer.
£23 could pay for an hour with our bereavement counsellor, supporting families through the loss of a loved one.