In April 2006 the Mount Edgcumbe Hospice and St Julia’s Hospice charities formerly merged into the single charity Cornwall Hospice Care, a truly Cornish charity.
The name was chosen to better reflect the breadth of services the charity offers to patients and their families throughout the whole community of Cornwall, not just at the hospices, but also in hospitals and nursing homes and the community itself.
As a charity we aim to deliver specialist care to those struggling with complex symptoms triggered by life limiting illnesses. It’s not just cancer, but other illnesses such as Motor Neurone disease and heart and lung diseases. We also offer practical, emotional and spiritual support to them, their family and their carers.
We support patients, their families and their carers in an atmosphere of respect and genuine warmth, which is positive, but not falsely optimistic. Many of our in and out patients describe the hospices as sanctuary’s, and those who visit over a number of years refer to us as their second home.
Cornwall Hospice Care’s Vision
Our vision is for all people living with terminal illness in Cornwall to be able to access the care and support they may need at the time and in the place that is right for them and their families.
Cornwall Hospice Care’s Mission
We aspire to deliver the highest possible quality care and support to our patients and their families. We will strive to develop and secure the resources necessary to achieve this, now and in the future.
Cornwall Hospice Care’s Values
We aim to:
- Care by delivering the highest quality, holistic, compassionate and individualised care to people in Cornwall.
- Value everyone, behaving with honesty and integrity and unlocking the potential of staff and volunteers so they can deliver a high standard of care, ethically generate funds and support the patients, families, friends and carers who rely on us.
- Listen carefully to what patients, families and professionals are telling us about the services we provide.
- Communicate in a timely and transparent manner with both internal and external audiences, ensuring we engage, consult and inform everyone in Cornwall and beyond of what we are doing and why.
- Collaborate working in partnership with others to broaden our scope and deliver services to those who are hard to reach.
- Innovate by encouraging creativity and development of ideas to ensure we are as efficient and effective as we can be in everything we do.