This is an exciting time to join Cornwall Hospice Care as we adapt to a rapidly changing retail environment. We’re focussed on building a successful business to help fund the outstanding adult hospice care we offer people in Cornwall.
Ultimately everything we do comes back to caring for our community and improving the lives of our patients so, if you’d like to be a part of a charity team that really makes a difference then Cornwall Hospice Care might be just the right place for you.
Our Cornish charity provides 24/7 support for people with terminal illnesses, caring for patients and their families at Mount Edgcumbe Hospice in St Austell and at St Julia’s Hospice in Hayle.
As part of its vital fundraising effort the Cornwall Hospice Care online listing team sells hundreds of donated and new goods on eBay. The eBay/online Retail Volunteer is an important role and the successful candidate will be a vital member of the team based at Holmbush, St Austell, reporting to the eBay Manager and helping to ensure we get the most from our donations.
What is the role?
This exciting volunteering opportunity is varied, interesting and highly rewarding. As an eBay Retail volunteer, you may be researching information and writing descriptions for the fascinating items that come in so we can secure the best price through our online store. You could be answering questions and giving feedback to our valued customers or photographing goods and ultimately packing them up ready for dispatch.
Your key duties may involve:
- Listing items on our eBay shop, writing a detailed description of the item and its condition
- Researching the items to find out their potential value
- Preparing and cleaning of the item before listing
- Taking photographs of items to be listed
- Responding to any customer queries in a professional, timely and helpful manner using the eBay platform
- Packaging items safely and as described ready for dispatch
Our Holmbush Donation Centre is currently open Mondays to Saturdays from 10.00am to 4pm. We encourage you to do either a morning or an afternoon shift, but you can do as many or as few hours to suit you.
Your skills and qualities
Previous experience and an understanding of selling on eBay would be valuable although not essential as we will provide free training for your role. You need to be reliable and adaptable and possess a good sense of humour with a willingness and enthusiasm to help us build up our eBay income. Computer skills are essential and ideally you’ll enjoy communicating with others. If you have a particular skill, such as photography, that you want to develop we would love to hear from you.
Your induction and training
To see if you like working with us you can come in for a taster session lasting 1 to 2 hours and have a go at some of the tasks this role calls for, like sorting or preparing for deliveries. You’ll do this alongside another member of the team who’ll show you the ropes.
All our volunteers receive an induction, which includes a welcome tour of the Donation Centre, health and safety procedures and an introduction to the team. You may also be shown some of the equipment you’ll be using.
Volunteers will be expected to complete some mandatory training modules which are relevant to the role, this will be explained by the Donation Centre Manager on your first day.
What will you gain?
- A rewarding experience in a dynamic warehouse environment
- Develop good customer service skills and an understanding of logistics and warehouse operations
- A great confidence boost
- Lots of laughs with people who’ll become your friends
- The warmth that comes when you know you’re helping your local community
- An understanding of the ethos of Cornish charity Cornwall Hospice Care